Change Vehicle Registration Name

If you have legally changed your name, you’ll need to update your vehicle registration with the Wisconsin DMV. There’s a fairly straightforward process to change your vehicle registration name. First you’ll need to change your name with the Social Security Administration, and then you’ll need to update the DMV on the change.

Informing the SSA of Your Name Change

You have to tell the SSA about your name change before you can update your vehicle registration. If you try to tell the DMV about the name change before the SSA has filed it, the records won’t match up to your Social Security number.

You’ll need to send the following documentation to the SSA either through the mail or in person at your local SSA office.

  • Your complete Application for a Social Security Card
  • Documents proving the name change
  • Proof of personal identification
  • Proof that your presence in the United States is lawful

After the application is processed, you should be sent an updated Social Security card in around 14 business days. Your name will change, but the number will remain the same.

Updating Your Driver’s License

Before you can change your vehicle registration, you need to update your driver’s license with the DMV. You’ll need to go to your local DMV office and provide the following documentation:

  • Proof of your identity
  • Proof of the name change
  • Payment to cover the $14 driver’s license fee
  • Proof of your birth date
  • Proof of your Wisconsin residency
  • Proof of your legal presence in the United States

Changing Your Vehicle Registration by Mail

Once you’ve updated your name with the SSA and updated your driver’s license, you’re finally ready to update your vehicle registration. Wisconsin’s vehicle registration requirements are more lax than many other states; it’s optional to have your title and registration changed after you change your name. If you do want updated documents, you can apply for them either through the mail or in person.

To apply by mail, place the following in a secure envelope:

  • Your current registration card
  • Payment to cover the registration fee

You should not drive your vehicle without a current registration card. If you need to drive the vehicle between the time you mail your application and receive your updated card, you’ll be better off applying in person.

Changing Your Vehicle Registration in Person

You can go to your local DMV office to request a new registration card. You’ll need the following:

  • Your updated driver’s license
  • Your current registration card
  • Payment to cover the registration fee

Fees to Change Your Vehicle Registration

You can expect to pay the following fees to receive your updated registration:

  • $14 for your updated driver’s license
  • $5 to cover both the registration and new certificate of title
  • An additional $5 for every additional vehicle

Payment can be made at your local DMV office through the following methods:

  • Cash
  • Checks
  • Most types of debit cards
  • MasterCard
  • American Express credit cards
  • Discover credit cards

If the payment is being sent by mail, you should send it as a money order or check.

Again, updating your registration and certificate of title is optional in the state of Wisconsin. If you don’t want an updated registration card, you don’t need one.