Replace Car Registration

If your license plate, registration sticker, or registration card is lost or damaged, you’ll need to order a replacement through the Wisconsin DMV. You cannot legally operate a vehicle without the registration card or license plate. If your plates or registration card have been stolen, you should file a police report with your local law enforcement agency before you request a duplicate.

Vehicle registration replacements can be ordered online, through the mail, or in person.


Replacing a Lost Vehicle Registration Online

If you have a lost or stolen vehicle registration, you can go to the Wisconsin DMV website. Navigate to their portal for Duplicate Certificate of Registration. You’ll be prompted with a series of questions about your personal identification and your vehicle. You’ll also need to have a credit or debit card on hand to pay the $2 application fee along with an online convenience fee.

You’ll have to print the duplicate registration document, so you must have a working printer if you replace your registration online.


Replacing Your Registration by Mail

To request your duplicate through the mail, place the following documentation in a secure envelope:

  • A complete Duplicate Certificate of Registration Application
  • A money order or check to cover the $2 application fee


The mailing address will be listed on the application.

It should be noted that mail requests may take several days to process. You shouldn’t drive without a registration during that time. If you do need to drive before the mail request will be processed, you might be better off applying online or in person.


Replacing Your Registration in Person

To replace your registration in person, you’ll need to go to your local DMV office. You can download and print the application online and complete it before your visit. If you don’t have a printer or internet access, you can also request the form at the DMV; you’ll just need to stand in line twice. You should bring cash or a check to cover the $2 fee.


Replacing Vehicle Registration Stickers

If your registration sticker has been lost or damaged, you can replace it through an email inquiry or by calling 608-264-7447. You’ll need to be prepared to give the following information:

  • Your full name (including your middle initial)
  • Your mailing address including state, city, and zip code
  • Your vehicle’s license plate number
  • The type of registration sticker that you’re requesting
  • The vehicle identification number of your vehicle
  • Your vehicle’s make and year
  • Your email address and your phone number


Usually the replacement sticker will be mailed within one business day.


Replacing License Plates

License plates can be replaced either through the DMV’s email inquiry service or through the completion of a Replacement License Plate Application. This form can be accessed and downloaded online or requested at your local DMV office.

The specific replacement fee you’ll pay depends on the type of license plate you have. Detailed information about the fees is listed on the official form. You can either bring the application to your DMV office or send the form by mail. In both cases, you’ll need to provide payment for the replacement fee.


If your personalized plates have been lost or stolen, the application must be sent by mail to the following address:

Department of Transportation

Special Plates Unit

P.O. Box 7911

Madison, WI 53707


Your local DMV office will not be able to provide replacement personalized plates.

If you have further questions, you can call the DMV office at 608-264-7447.