Transfer Vehicle Title

If you’re new to the state and plan on staying and becoming a resident, you’re required to register your vehicle and apply for a Wisconsin title. For the title transfer, you’ll need:

  • Your current title.
  • Proof of identity.
  • A completed form MV1, Title/License Plate Application.
  • Proof of sales tax paid in another state if you want an exemption from paying it again in Wisconsin.
  • Fee of $69.50 to transfer vehicle title


These fees are for title transfers only and do not include the additional fees for vehicle registration and plates. A 5 percent sales tax may be applicable depending on your county.


Buying or Selling a Car

If you buy from a dealership, the title transfer will happen on their end. If you buy from a private seller, you’ll need to obtain an assignment of title from your seller and vice versa if you’re the one selling.

For this type of title transfer, you’ll need:

  •  An odometer reading if the car is less than 10 years old.
  • A lien release if a loan was paid off in full.
  • Fee of $69.50 for title transfer if you’re the buyer.


The buyer will take the completed paperwork and visit the Wisconsin DMV page online to fill out an application and complete the title transfer. The buyer will need to provide the last four digits of their Security number and their license information.


Inheriting a Car or Receiving it as a Gift

If the value of the car is less than $50,000, you can transfer the title to yourself by submitting each vehicle transfer requirement to the Wisconsin DMV. You’ll need:

  • A death certificate if the person you’re inheriting from lived out of state.
  • A completed Form MV2300, Transfer of Vehicles to a Surviving Spouse, Domestic Partner or Heir.
  • A completed MV1, Title/License Plate Application.
  • Fee of $62 for surviving spouse or domestic partner or $69.50 for title transfer.


If your spouse died, and both of you are listed on the vehicle title, you’ll need to contact the DMV for more information.

If the vehicle you’re inheriting is worth more than $50,000, court-issued papers must identify you as someone who can sign the paperwork on the behalf of the deceased. From there, Form MV2300 must be completed, and you can then sign over the title as a personal representative of your spouse.


Replacement Titles

If you lose or damage your title paperwork and would like it replaced, you can request a new copy by filling out an online application for a replacement title. You’ll need:

  • An email address.
  • The last four digits of your Social Security number.
  • Your driver’s license number and date of birth.
  • The VIN number of your car.
  • Fee of $20 for replacement title.